zondag 11 augustus 2013

Maskerade - Terry Pratchett

Maskerade is the 18th book in the Discworld series. A short introduction for people who don't know the discworld: The Discoworld is an imaginary world conceived by Terry Pratchett. It's a flat disk that stand on 4 elephants who stand on a giant turtle, called A'Tuin. The turtle floats through space. On the Discworld live fantasy creatures like trolls and witches, but also human beings. The main characters differ by book.

In Maskerade you follow a The-Phantom-of-The-Opera-ish story about an opera house, placed in Ankh- Morpork, where an unknown person murders people. At the same time are Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax, two well-known witches, searching for Agnes Nitt. Agnes is auditing to become actress at the Opera House. When Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg arrive in Ankh-Morpork and found out about the mysterious killings, they're determined to catch the killer.

Compared to every Discworld novel I read so far, this was one of my favorites. The plot wasn't really shocking and pretty predictable, but the story was easy to read en also very entertaining (btw, like more Discworld novels). I've read several Discworld novels and sometimes I think they're a bit vague (perhaps because English isn't my mother tongue, I don't know), but this novel was very clear.

If you haven't read any Discworld novels before I recommend you to read first other Discworld novels like The Colour of Magic (the first Discworld novel (you can also search on the internet for other suitable novels to begin with)), otherwise I think the story isn't interesting due to the new world, the other creatures etc. If you have read other Discworld novels before (and enjoyed them, of course) and haven't read this one yet, I think you will find this novel very funny and entertaining, just like I did.

-L

Pages: 381
Genre: Fantasy

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten