vrijdag 21 juni 2013

A Clash of Kings - George R.R. Martin

I read this book a while ago and since I'm reading the third book of A Song Of Ice A Fire, I thought it was time to finally review this book.

A Clash Of Kings is the second part of A Song Of Ice And Fire. It's the sequel of A Game of Thrones in which a war began, because King Robert Baratheon died and Ned Strak found out the children of Queen Cersei weren't the true children of Robert Baratheon. So there are 4 kings in the realm. Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Rob Stark (King in the North) and King Joffrey (King on the Iron Throne). And of course there is Daenerys Targaryen, who believes she has the right to the Iron Throne, because her father was the King before King Robert took over the throne. Of course, they all want the war to end and want to be King.

In this book you read in the same perspectives as in A Game of Thrones, except and of course Ned Stark. There are also new perspectives, Davos who follows King Stannis and Theon Greyjoy, a former ward of Winterfell. I think it was a choice to bring new perspectives in the book. Otherwise, I think the book would be kinda the same as A Game of Throne. But I personally didn't like Davos much. I think it would be more interesting if the writer chose Stannis or Melisandre instead of Davos, because they have a more important role than Davos. I did enjoy the perspective of Theon. Mainly because you learn about his experiences in Winterfell.

The book is not a book that you'll finish in a couple of days. I think I read it in 2 weeks, which I thought was pretty quick. The book has also more pages than the first book, but I liked that the book was so detailed. It's not a simpel story, but George R.R. Martin has created a whole other world with its history and important people. I also read a short story which takes place about a thousand years before A Song Of Ice And Fire began, but the details in that story fitted the details A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings perfectly.

A long story short: I think everyone who has read A Game of Thrones will definitely enjoy A Clash of Kings. It's a good book with an impressive and gigantic story.

- L

Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 969 (without appendix)

Note: I highly recommend to read the books first before watching Game of Thrones. I read the books first and then saw the episodes of Game of Thrones and I liked the books way better (don't get me wrong, I liked the program too). The book and program have differences (which I personally (and I'm certainly not the only one) found annoying) and I think if you watch the program first, it will spoil the book.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten